Representation of TEREA at the 58th Session of the International Council of the International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) in Yokohama, Japan.
From 6 to 10 November 2022 the 58th Session of the International Council of the International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) took place in Yokohama, Japan.
TEREA, represented by Pierre Schueller, Forest-Climate Project Officer and Co-Chairman/Secretary of the ATIBT Carbon and Biodiversity Commission, participated in the "Annual Market Discussion" held on November 8 on the topic "Carbon Trade and Tropical Forest".
Among the 5 speakers invited to discuss the potential of carbon markets for tropical forests, Pierre made a presentation on the issues and challenges in the feasibility of carbon projects in Central Africa, addressing the following points :
- Improving foresters' knowledge of carbon markets,
- Improving investors' knowledge of forest carbon,
- Removing technical barriers to the implementation of carbon projects in Africa,
- Addressing institutional barriers to carbon projects in Africa,
- Develop opportunities around other ecosystem services than carbon.
To (re)view this Market Discussion and all the presentations made.
To read the conclusions of this Market Discussion: https://www.itto.int/ittc-58/market_discussion/